This is an archive of a past election.|
See http://www.smartvoter.org/oh/hm/ for current information.
Full Biography for Richard W. "Rich" Neumann
Richard W. Neumann 816 Eaglesknoll Court Cincinnati, Ohio 45255
513-624-0366 Fax513-236-1352 Mobile firstname.lastname@example.org email
To be re-elected to the Forest Hills Local School District Board of Education and once again contribute my leadership skills and unique, non-traditional professional background in both the public and private sectors to the betterment of the Forest Hills School District and its students. I am passionate about public education and specifically the Forest Hills Local School District.
Statement of Qualifications
An absence of two years following my eight years (1998-2005) as a member of the suburban Cincinnati Forest Hills School District (K-12/six elementary schools/one middle school/two high schools/7900 students/$65,000,000 operating budget) Board of Education reinforced and then crystallized my desire to return to the Board and district that I hold in such high esteem.
With that goal in mind, I am confident that my educational background and professional experience - nine years as a high school teacher and coach (1974-1979/1981-1984), three years as a high school building level administrator (1992-1995) and eight years (1998-2005) of service on the Forest Hills School District Board of Education combined with over twenty years in the private sector - will enable me to successfully contribute to the leadership of the school district that has in the past valued such a unique set of qualifications. In addition, I hold Superintendent (2006) and Assistant Superintendent (2002) certification from the Ohio Department of Education
It should also be noted that as the Forest Hills School District's Anderson High School Athletic Director (1992-1995), I became an integral member of then Principal Mike Hall's building administrative team. I attended district administrative level meetings and those central office cabinet meetings that related to athletics, extracurricular activities and facility issues.
As a Board member, I was part of two successful operating levy campaigns, but during my tenure as Athletic Director, I also successfully served in leadership roles on district committees exploring district re-organization, re-districting and determining the "de rigueur" major budget reductions that would be required should an operating levy fail. Given the state of school financing in the State of Ohio, the latter exercise was and is all too familiar.
In addition, my more than twenty years as a business executive, consultant and entrepreneur complement my twenty years in public education as a teacher, coach, administrator and Board of Education member. This is a rare combination of successful experiences in both the public and private sectors that will enable me to provide a school district with strong, well-rounded leadership and fresh perspectives in ever changing and increasingly demanding 21st century public education.
Personal and professional qualities that I will again bring to the school district include integrity; strong interpersonal skills; straight-forward and candid communication with my fellow Board of Education members and all levels of the school district's employees; self-confidence, energy, flexibility and drive; the ability to identify and capitalize on new ideas, business practices and processes; and a proven track record of hiring and directing outstanding employees. That will well serve the district in the search for the new superintendent.
I am a firm believer in fostering an environment based upon teamwork, diversity, non-discrimination, fairness and balance. As a Board member I will consistently demonstrate a commitment to excellence, collaboration, innovation, respect, accountability and ownership of work.
Given my positive relationship and experience working with a majority of the current Forest Hills School District school board members, 15-year Superintendent John Patzwald, Treasurer Rick Toepfer and key members of the district's central office team and professional staff, I am confident in my ability to effect a smooth, seamless and rapid leadership transition for and in the school district that has valued a unique skill set, credentials and qualifications such as mine.
Professional Experience + Education
· Elected to serve two, four-year terms as a member of the Forest Hills School District Board of Education · Directly involved in all Board initiatives of the Forest Hills School District during eight years or service · Attended 155 Board of Education Meetings · Presided over 42 meetings as President (2001 & 2005) · Served as Board Vice-President (2000, 2003, 2004) · Developed and maintain a close working relationship with Superintendent John Patzwald, Treasurer Rick Toepfer and key members of the central office and administrative teams · Positive relationship with the Forest Hills Education Association leadership and key professional staff members · Initiated and was the driving force behind Forest Hills School District "Vision 2010 and Beyond" committee (2004).
· Director of Athletics, Anderson High School · Student population of 2,000 in Grades 7-12 · 22 boys and girls Division I (largest schools in Ohio) varsity sports · 20 boys and girls junior varsity and junior high sports teams · Hired, supervised and evaluated a coaching staff of approximately 80 coaches, one part-time junior high athletic coordinator and one athletic department secretary · Three-time winner of The Cincinnati Enquirer's "Enky" Award presented to the outstanding high school athletic program for athletic and academic achievement
· Secondary School (Grades 7-12) Teacher and Coach · Created curriculum programs for and taught U.S. history, law and sociology · Varsity Head Coach for Boys Soccer and Golf and Assistant Head Coach Girls Fast Pitch Softball for fourteen collective seasons · One State Championship (Girls Fast Pitch Softball), two Sectional Championship Finals (Boys Soccer), and one Conference Championship (Boys Golf) · Founder/President Morris County (NJ) Soccer Coaches Association and Tournament now in its 32nd year
Professional Experience + Private Sector
2003 + Present
· President, Baseball Development + Mandalay Baseball Properties + Los Angeles, CA · Responsibilities include direct oversight of two of the five affiliated minor league baseball teams owned and operated by Mandalay Baseball · Acquisition of new teams · Development of public-private partnerships to finance and construct new, state-of-the-art minor league ballparks as well as ancillary real estate development
2000 + 2002
· President, Neumann Productions LLC + Cincinnati, OH · Provided corporate consulting services in sports, entertainment and event sponsorships including strategic planning, analysis, negotiation, implementation, activation and evaluation; new business development · Clients included Cincinnati Bell Telephone, Inc., Greater Cincinnati Tall Stacks Commission and CoActive Marketing, Cincinnati, OH
1995 + 1999
· Minority Owner in Cincinnati Entertainment Associates, Ltd., the holding company that owned U.S. Bank Arena (then The Crown/Firstar Center), the Cincinnati Cyclones Hockey Club, LP and FC Cincinnati Silverbacks LP · Simultaneously became a principal in the privately funded acquisition ($21 Million) and major renovation ($16 Million) of the former Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum · Concurrently served as Executive Vice President of The Crown/Firstar Center and the Cincinnati Cyclones Hockey Club and as President of the Cincinnati Silverbacks indoor professional soccer team · Responsible for the day-to-day front office operations of both professional teams and personally prospected, negotiated and closed in excess of $12 million of contractually obligated income in major category, national/regional corporate partnerships, suite and premium seating sales including the naming rights agreement with Firstar, now U.S. Bank Corporation
1989 + 1992
· President, Cincinnati Sports Mall, Inc. + Cincinnati, OH · Held full management responsibilities for the 100,000 square foot multi-purpose family recreation center with annual revenues in excess of $4 million that includes an upscale health and fitness club with indoor/outdoor pools and tennis courts, indoor soccer complex and full-service food and beverage operation · Acted as landlord to sports medicine and rehabilitation practice, gymnastics and dance studio, sporting goods store and aerobics studio
1987 + 1988
· Vice President Marketing, Riverfront Coliseum, Inc. - Cincinnati, OH · Responsible for all marketing, advertising, corporate sales, media relations and promotions of the 16,000 seat arena and its event schedule
1985 + 1986
· Marketing Director, Richard E. Madigan & Associates + Montclair, NJ · Madigan & Associates provided full scale financial and personal business management to professional athletes and celebrities · Responsible for recruiting clients and developing client promotional programs and endorsement opportunities
1984 + 1985
· Account Executive, West Point Pepperell, Inc. + New York City, NY · Responsible for $3 Million account list following three month training program in the Apparel Fabrics Division
M.A. Sports Administration/Facility Management, Ohio University Athens, Ohio, 1980
B.A. History, Lafayette College Easton, Pennsylvania 1973
Additional post-graduate work in Secondary Education Administration & Supervision:
24 credit hours, Montclair State College + Upper Montclair, New Jersey, 1980-82 Certified Secondary School Principal + New Jersey Department of Education, 1982
6 credit hours, Xavier University + Cincinnati, Ohio, 2002 Certified Secondary School Principal & Assistant Superintendent of Schools + Ohio Department of Education, 2002
6 credit hours, Xavier University + Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006 Certified Superintendent of Schools + Ohio Department of Education, 2006
Associations & Community Service
Member, Board of Education, Forest Hills Local School District 8,000 students, K-12 + Cincinnati, Ohio Elected to two Four-Year Terms Served two years as President and three years as Vice President 1998-2005
Elder, Board of Session, Mt. Washington Presbyterian Church Cincinnati, Ohio - 1700 members + 1994-1996
Wife Susan, Special Education Teacher, Sycamore Community Schools, Cincinnati, OH
Children Stacey (33), Educator/Coach, Anderson High School, Cincinnati, OH
Brian (31), Director of Youth Ministry, Anderson Hills United Methodist Church, Cincinnati, OH
Todd (28), Singer/Songwriter, Nashville, TN
Scott (25), Completed Masters in Education/Teacher Certification Program (July 2006), Piedmont College, Demorest, GA + Athens, GA campus
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest
November 2007 Home (Ballot Lookup) || About Smart Voter
The League of Women Voters does not support or oppose any candidate or political party.
Created from information supplied by the candidate: October 4, 2007 17:44
Smart Voter <http://www.smartvoter.org/>
Copyright © League of Women Voters of California Education Fund http://ca.lwv.org
|| Feedback to Candidate
|| This Contest