(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: United States Representative
- Member of House Appropriations Committee
- Co-Chair of Congressional Travel & Tourism Caucus
- Co-Chair of Congressional Organic Agriculture Caucus
- Co-Chair of House Oceans Caucus
- Member of House Rural Health Care Coalition
Mark J. Risley
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Executive/Business Owner
- Attended Biola University
- CEO/President Peninsula Sports, Inc.
- Former Human Resources Manager, Macy's California
- President, National Football Foundation/College Hall of Fame, Central California Chapter
- Central Coast Section Sportmanship Committee
- Nor-Cal Basketball Committee
- Government Waste/Career Politicians
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Paralegal
- Phone: 831-462-3419; Addr: 3085 A Carriker Ln., Soquel, CA 95073; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Party: Peace and Freedom
- Occupation: Bookseller
- Counselor - GI Rights Hotline <girights.org>
- Editor - Santa Cruz Indymedia <santacruz.indymedia.org>
- Santa Cruz Peace Coalition
Joel R. Smolen
- Introduce legislation for a Guaranteed Minimum Income (aka Basic Income Guarantee). <www.usbig.net>
- Moratorium on all new federal prison construction. <www.criticalresistance.org>
- Withdrawal, clean-up & restoration of all federal military facilities in the 17th District (including recruiting offices). <www.warresisters.org>
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Registered Investment Advisor
- Managing General Partner, Biotech Insight Fund, LP
- Principal, Biotech Insight Management, LLC, RIA
- Managing General Partner, Biotech Insight Ventures
- Technology Consultant, Merger and Acquisitions,
David Mauricio Munoz
- Health, education and safety of our citizens
- Balanced business and job growth
- Appropriate and fair environmental policy
- Addr: PO Box 6995, Salinas, CA 93912
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The League of Women Voters of California has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
3 questions on Federal Resources, Foreign Policy, and Federal Budget.
Secretary of State
U.S. House of Representatives
Campaign Finance Data
League of Women Voters
- About the Candidates
- Browse the page to find the link for US House 17. Then find Biography, Campaign Finances, Issue Positions (NPAT), Special Interest Groups, and Voting Record where available.
News and Analysis
- Sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Monterey, there will be a 2 hour debate starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday October 23rd. The debate will be at the Monterey Institute of International Studies in the Irvine Auditorium, which is in the McCone Building. The address is 499 Pierce Street in Monterey, CA. You need tickets to attend. However, the tickets are free. Tickets are available at the following locations: Bay Books-Monterey, Borders-Sand City, Bookworks-Pacific Grove and Thunderbird Bookshop-The Barnyard-Carmel. The audience must be seated by 12:50 P.M., no exceptions. The candidates will answer pre-presented questions with a specific amount of time to respond and time allowed for rebuttal. No audience participation will be allowed during the debate. After the debate you may "meet and greet" the candidates from 3 to 5 p.m. Contact Shoshana Hamburger at 883-9214 with questions.
- Monday, October 4th there will be a candidate's forum at the Calvary Chapel Monterey Bay. The location is at 3001 Monterey-Salinas Highway. The 1 1/2 hour forum begins at 7 p.m. Seating is limited and tickets must be acquired by contacting campaign coordinators. More information on the forum is available by calling Bill Holdridge at 649-1158.
Monterey County Herald
The Salinas Californian
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.