Runoff Election 5/19/2015
(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Occupation: School Boardmember/Prosecutor
- Los Angeles Unified school board member (2007-present)
- Deputy City Attorney/Neighborhood Prosecutor (2002-present)
- Western States Counsel, Anti-Defamation League (1996-2002)
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law (1994)
- B.A. in political science, UCLA, magna cum laude (1991)
Scott Mark Schmerelson
- Pass a balanced, responsible budget, and stick to it throughout the fiscal year.
- Provide our students with high-quality teachers, materials and support so they can pass the more rigorous curriculum now required for graduation.
- Equip our schools and teachers with the technology needed to prepare students for college and careers.
- Occupation: Administrator/Retired Teacher
- Spanish Teacher
- Secondary Counselor
- Assistant Principal
- Treasurer, Cuban-American Teachers' Association
- Executive Director of Region 16, Association of California School Administrators
- School Bond funds must be expended as the voters intended.
- Class size is too high to ensure a quality education.
- Fair wages and full time employment for our LAUSD employees.
- Occupation: Teacher/Scientist/Entrepreneur
- B.S. UCLA (Ecology, Behavior & Evolution)
- M.S. CSUN (Interdisciplinary)
- Teacher in Seoul, South Korea
- Teacher in Beijing, China
- Neighborhood Council Treasurer (Northridge East)
- Graduate Assistant at CSUN
Elizabeth Badger Bartels
- Reduce Class Size
- Increase Transparency & Accountability
- Increase Student, Teacher, and Parent Participation
- Occupation: Children's Advocate/Businesswoman
- Masters Public Administration/ Policy
- Bachelors of Arts - Political Science
- LACDP Central Committee (Elected 6 terms)
- Founder/CEO, Minority Outreach Committee, Inc.
Carl J. Petersen
- Investment in Early childhood Education
- Raising Graduation Rate/Lowering Dropout Rates
- Creating partnerships between parents, teachers, staff and LAUSD Board
- Occupation: Businessman/Activist Parent
- Father of five
- Director of Logistics
- B.S. Business Management, University of Phoenix
- Vocational Degree, Musician's Institute (PIT)
- Studied Computer Science at Pace University
- Author of The Different Drummer blog
- Reduce layers of bureaucracy so that parents, teachers and staff have more say at the local level.
- Institute real reforms to hold the Superintendent accountable.
- Eliminate the reliance on standardized testing for evaluations that are not student related.
- Occupation: Businessman/Professor
- City of Los Angeles North Valley Area Planning Commission, 2013-14
- Masters in Social Work, University of Southern California
- Bachelor of Arts, Cal State Northridge
- LAUSD Elected Parent Representative
- Give parents real local control by breaking LAUSD into smaller school districts.
- Class size reduction.
- Child safety and accountability.
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Candidates Answer Questions|
The League of Women Voters of Los Angeles has asked
all candidates for this office to respond to
3 questions on Most Important Issue, Role of Board, and Teacher Evaluation.
News and Analysis
Coverage from 89.3 KPCC
- Google News Search
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.