(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Steven Mark Levin
- Occupation: Astrophysicist/Science Educator
- Astrophysicist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory 1990-present
- Project Scientist, Juno Mission to Jupiter
- PhD, Physics, from U.C. Berkeley in 1987
- Past President/Treasurer, Farragut Booster Club ("Fan Club")
- Founding President, United Parents of Culver City
- Volunteer of the Year & PTA Honorary Service Award Recipient
- Invite the community to join in the most important task imaginable: helping our children to grow into happy, successful, productive, adults!
- Address California's new standards by creating highly engaged, project-based, multi-disciplinary learning.
- Support our teachers & Exercise Insight and Oversight of Our District
- Occupation: Culver City School Boardmember
- B.A., Bucknell University
- J.D., Southwestern University Sch. of Law
- CA State Bar member
- Current School Board President
- Immersion Strategic Planning Committee Member
- CA PTA member; Former School Site Council Member
Susanne K "Sue" (Kelley) Robins
- continue to leverage our existing resources creatively and efficiently
- address the deferred maintenance and infrastructure needs at all of our school sites, and upgrade our technological capacity and safety systems
- strong academic standards, strong extracurricular programs, and strong commitment to diversity and social justice
- Occupation: Teacher/Instructor
- Business Owner: Ascend Training Solutions, LLC
- Instructor, University of California, Irvine Extension and Corporate
- M.S. Education, B.S. Zoology
- Former Culver City Middle School Science Teacher
- Former Farragut Elemtary School PTA President
- Education Committee Chair - Culver City Chamber of Commerce
- Applying leadership principles to School Board governance
- Effective implementation of Common Core Curriculum
- Taking necessary steps to get a bond measure on the June 2014 ballot
- Occupation: Culver City School Board Member
- 12-year Teacher, seven years with Culver City's Summer Program
- Three Education Degrees, Boston University / Harvard University
- Education Commissioner, Former Assembly Speaker Karen Bass
- Panelist, Assemblymember Holly J. Mitchell's State of Our Children Town Hall
- Chaperone / Co-Coordinator, Culver City Sister City Kaizuka, Japan Student Exchange
- 2011 Elected Official of the Year, Culver City News
- Make fiscally responsible decisions, including reining in consultant contracts and requiring public bidding
- Invest in and support our dedicated employees, ensuring recruitment of the best teachers and staff
- Protect arts programs from future budget cuts
- Occupation: Education Policy Director
- Chief of Staff, LAUSD Board Member Steve Zimmer
- Communications Specialist, UCLA's Institute for Democracy, Education and Access
- Economic Development Deputy for LA City Council Member Jackie Goldberg
- Owned/Operated Translation and Interpretation Service
- Started ALAS, a program of the Women's Initiative for Self Employment
- Board of the Women's Coalition Economic Development
Vernon L. Taylor
- Improving Learning by Supporting Teachers
- Increasing Funding for our Schools
- Ensuring All Stakeholders Participate
- Occupation: Banking Executive/Parent
- Elected El Rincon School Site Council Member
- Elected Culver City Middle School Site Council member
- Youth Mentor and Coach Culver-Palms YMCA
- Past Chairman and City Council Appointee - Advisory Committee on Redevelopment
- Past Chairman and City Council Appointee Community Development Block Grant Commission
- Former Key-Three Executive and District Commissioner Boy Scouts of America
- Educational and Resource Equity for all Culver City Students and Schools
- Responsible, strategic fiscal and budgetary management and planning
- Leadership and promotion of collaboration with all stakeholders
- Occupation: Educator/Realtor/Entrepreneur
- Masters In Business Science CSUN
- B.A. Public Service UCLA
- "Fix Our School Pool"
- "Common Sense Management"
- "Educate Students for the Real World"
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
- Thursday October 3, 2013
time: 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
place: Culver City Mike Balkman Council Chambers, 9770 Culver Bl.
conducted by: League of Women Voters Culver City Unit and Culver City Council PTA
video: City TV
- watch individual candidate interviews on-line: Levin, Paspalis, Robins, Silbiger, Taylor, Vizcarra, Zirgulis
- watch replay of entire 90-minute program on Channel 35 (TWC) or 37 (Verizon) at 7:00 p.m. on any of the following dates: Wed 10/30, Fri 11/1, Sat 11/2, Sun 11/3
Culver City News
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.