(Vote for 3)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Nielsen "Niel" Tam
- Occupation: Retired Principal
- Masters Degree in Special Education
- Masters Degree in School Administration
- Thirty-eight years serving the Alameda School District
- The 2002 Daniel E. Koshland Civic Unity Award given by the San Francisco Foundation.
- Coro Northern California Community Leadership Program Fellow - 2006
- American Red Cross Community Service Award -2008
- Selection of a superintendent who is culturally competent and has the skills to build relationships with the different unions in the district, the co
- Rebuild relationships between the business community and the schools. The parcel tax lawsuits are presenting problems.
- Develop long term solutions for on going needs and leverage our resources. This is through collaboration with non government agencies, foundation
- Occupation: School Volunteer/Attorney
- U.C. Berkeley, A.B. degree, Sociology major; U.C. Irvine, Paralegal Certificate
- Law degree, Juris Doctorate, Western State Univ., Fullerton
- Educator - Substitute teacher in almost all AUSD schools, including English Language Learners & Special Needs
- Committed Volunteer - Alameda PTA Council Pres. 2006-08; volunteer where there is need, not just my children's schools
- Save Our Music; Kids Chalk Art Project ; Garden Grants; Alameda County Youth Planning Panel
- My four children attended AUSD (Woodstock Child Development Center, Head Start, Otis, Earhart, Lincoln, Alameda High & ACLC); 2 youngest now at AHS
- Quality education for all AUSD students (class-size reduction,AP classes,World Languages,Intervention, art, music, sports), with Fiscal Responsibility
- Increase educational funding to AUSD (aggressively lobby Sacramento and apply for grants)
- Encourage community input in AUSD decisions, improve transparency, remove barriers
- Occupation: Parent, Businessman
- PTA Leader, Public Education Advocate
- Alameda Education Foundation, Secretary
- KASE - YES on H, Treasurer
- Measure A (2001 & 2005) Co-Chair
- Parent of an elementary, middle and high school student
Janet C. Gibson
- Leadership and vision across the District
- Advocate continually for fair funding and fiscal responsibility
- Excellence education at all schools using resources equitably
- Occupation: Incumbent, Retired AUSD Teacher, Parent/Grandparent
- Graduate San Mateo High School
- BA University of the Pacific
- MA Boston University
- Co-Chair Alameda Collaborative for Children, Youth and Families
- President, Ecumenical Peace Institute
- 31 year AUSD Special Education teacher (Pre School through High School
- Selection, Mentoring & Supervision of next AUSD Superintendent
- Maintaining & Improving Excellence & Equity in Alameda School System
- Honoring and Encouraging Community & Employee input in Fiscal & Educational Management of District
- Occupation: Incumbent
- Small business manager/operator
- Instructor Trainer
- Educational Excellence
- Educational Equity
- Stable & Dependable Financing
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.