- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: Assemblymember
- Served on the Sacramento City Council from 1999-2004.
- Six years as a legal aid attorney with Legal Services of Northern California, providing free legal assistance to the poor.
- Awarded the prestigious and competitive White House Fellowship in 1995.
- Served in the Clinton Administration for three years as Counsel to United States Attorney General Janet Reno.
- Appointed as a freshman to chair the Assembly Judiciary Committee
- BA, DePauw University `84 / * JD, Harvard Law School `88 / * MPP, Harvard's Kennedy School of Government `88