(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: U.S. Representative
- Registered Nurse
- A teacher of early childhood development
- Master's degrees in Education and Religion
- Pass a Patients' Bill of Rights to rein in HMOs and keep medical decisions in the hands of doctors and patients
- Save and strengthen Social Security
- Fight any effort to privatize Social Security by opposing the investment of Social Security funds in the stock market
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Small Business Owner/Farmer
- Jobs leader on California Competitiveness Council
- Appointed to State and local environmental boards
- Small business owner
- Active in community affairs
- Worked to increase number of women elected to state office
- Lived and worked in Mexico; speaks fluent Spanish
James E. Hill
- Make Central Coast Housing Accessible to Working Families
- Expand Health Care Coverage and Keep Health Providers in the Central Coast
- National Security
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Pressure Piping Inspector
- AA degree, BS degree nearing completion
- Over 25 years in Nondestructive Testing
- Over 20 years with PG&E Inspection & Test
- Past President of nonprofit historical society
- Past Treasurer of nonprofit historical society
- Member, Advisory Committee to CAL OSHA
- Tax Relief and Reduction of government size and scope
- Improve Education - Return to Local Control of Schools
- End Foreign Aid
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
U.S. House of Representatives
Campaign Finance Data
League of Women Voters
- About the Candidates
- Browse the page to find the link for District 23. Then find Biography, Campaign Finances, Issue Positions (NPAT), Special Interest Groups, and Voting Record where available.
- 23rd Congressional District candidate forum,
Monday, October 21, 2002, 7:00-9:00 PM,
Faulkner Library, Santa Barbara Main Library
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.